Examinations are known to play very important roles in our educational system, which are sued for academic stratification or for assigning grades to students in schools of learning. I will say that teachers and lecturers encourage examination malpractice among students by giving them areas of concentration, by so doing most student won’t border reading on those topic given to them to study before the examination day, rather they will make plans for malpractice. It has become a vicious circle and once students get involved and go through undetected, they easily become addicted and therefore tread this critical path as to attend their academic success in school.
YOU CAN ALSO READ: THE EFFECT OF EXAMINATION MALPRACTICE ON STUDENTS ATTITUDE TO LEARN
According to Ukpong (2003), examination malpractice is a social mace but some student today see it as an acceptable and recognizable means of passing examination at all levels of education, which is positive effective of it. And negative part of it is that a lot of student carry results that do not reflect their ability, with this, it threaten the educational system of today.
I will discuss on (5) major effect of examination malpractice on student attitude of learning.
- Economic Growth: The economic growth of our nation has been affected because those that can move the economy forward have been put in the back row of the society. What I’m trying to say is that, the worsts effect of examination malpractice on student attitude to learn is over-emphasis on paper qualification, which pushes students to cut corners to excel in examination.
- Unemployment: There will be rise in unemployment, this due to the fact that supposed graduates who are expected to showcase what they have learnt in school turns out empty ie. having nothing to offer at all, even while seeking to be employed
- Lack Of Confidence:There will be increase in lack of confidence among students, what a student supposed to do on his/her own may seem challenging because that self-confidence is not there, rather they will support themselves with micro chips in the examination hall. Also, examination can lure some students into other areas of misconducts such as prostitution and armed robbery so as to earn money for lectures so as to pass their exams.
- Lack of Professionalism: This will definitely affect the performance of any student’s believe in malpractice, for instance a student from a professional department like computer science, coming out of school still remains jobless without knowing what to do with his course of study. Thus the student will be afraid of showcasing his or her talent in the labor market. Sometimes this set of student will grow into adults and becomes teachers, lectures or examination supervisors who will not see anything wrong with such sophisticated and high class examination frauds, which will defeated the goals of educationa by training out certificated illiterates.
- Impedes Intellectual Progress of the Nation: Those who cheat to pass in examination and unable to defend their certificates in public and the number of students who graduated in school now contributes to the downfall of our nation, because value of certificate will be reduced, the standard and quality of education will be under-rated anywhere in the country.
YOU CAN ALSO READ: CRITICAL ANALYSIS OF ADOLESCENT ATTITUDE TO PARENTAL DISCIPLINE IN NIGERIA
Conclusively, the effect of examination malpractice has the negative and positive part of it. Outlining strategies by spelling out the consequences that follows with the conduct could help in eradicating cheating in examination. So you better shun exam malpractice because it kills your career and your profession.