The impact of information and communication technology (ICT) as a medium of instruction, teaching and learning in secondary schools and higher institutions cannot be over emphasised. This is to improve the quality of classroom teaching and learning of our educational system. Information and communication technology has impacted the lives of everyone in Nigeria through agriculture, business, education, entertainment, healthcare, government and security. Technology has changed the face of how everything is being done in Nigeria.
In Nigeria, public and private schools have embraced technology as a game changer, through the use of internet-enabled devices to make reading, writing and learning fun, exciting and a remarkable experience for both the teachers and the students. Teachers now have access to relevant teaching materials to aide learning such as powerpoint and ultra sound devices for disabled individuals . Information and communication technology (ICT) has made it easy to find teachers and students, in both private and public schools, to demonstrate their exceptional skills with the latest tech-assisted gadgets that they can lay hands on.
Here I will consider (5) basic impact of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) on learning and teaching.
- Higher Quality learning: It allows higher quality lessons through collaboration with teachers in planning and preparing resources. Students learn skills analytically including improvements in reading comprehension. Technology encourages independent and active learning among students. Students who use educational technology devices feel more successful in school , motivated to learn more and have self-confidence and higher self-esteem.
- Increasing collaboration: By virtue of government interventions, training and seminars organized in this regard, ICT tools stimulate teachers and students. Majority of teachers claim to use ICT to do tasks, such as preparing lessons, sequencing classroom activities, etc. therefore teachers plan their lessons more effectively. ICT also help teachers to work in teams and share ideas related to schools curriculum, communication and collaboration between educators.
- Innovation Stimulation: many students consider ICT very helpful because it stimulates their interest on doing assignments, and teachers see that ICT enables students with special needs or difficulties. It also reduces social disparities between students, since they work in team in order to achieve a given task.
- Eradication of Poor Educational Background: ICT has been able to wipe out poor educational background in Nigeria, the background of education has been used in measuring the extent growth and development of our nation.
- Increase Attention: Here the use of education has enhanced teaching, learning and researching in Nigeria education system, especially in improvement of access and delivery of good education and also in learning basic knowledge on coding, app development, web and graphic design, which most schools are fully equipped to give children a solid head start in the use of application of A to Z software and app to enhance their education that will explore the limitless wonders that technology has offer.
In conclusion, information communication and technology has a positive impact on teaching and learning situations, but it is not compared with the idea expectations that its impact on teaching and learning is still considered limited in Nigerian.