The best students enjoy writing essay because it is an interesting intellectual exercise in which the writer must craft thoughtful arguments on complex topics within the confines of a prescribed and often restrictive word count.
For such students, each essay brings the challenge of making the essay little bit better than the previous ones.
YOU CAN ALSO READ: HOW TO WRITE A GOOD WEB DEVELOPMENT PROPOSAL
Here I have five key tips that will help you write a good essay consistently and impressively.
1. Build Your Vocabulary and Use It Properly: A good vocabulary will allow you to express exactly what you mean, as clearly as possible because that’s the most important way of ensuring that you can communicate clearly and it is as a point through accurate and effective use of advanced vocabulary. A good essay writer should never rest on their achievements when it comes to vocabulary.
2. Read Other People’s Essays: Reading other people’s essays will help you mold your own writing style, so reading other people’s essays can help you develop and build your own essay writing skills and know-how correctly, and it will help you to be disciplined, by applying the kind of arguments or styles, so the more essay you read, the more possible techniques will come to you when writing your own essay.
3. Words to Help Develop an Argument: As you are writing, focus on using your language effectively to help build an argument and create a sense of structure on it. When writing to an end, avoid using the same word every time so that people won’t get tired on those particular words. For instance, many people like using a word “also”. Learn how to use words like “moreover”, “furthermore” and “however”, because it helps develop your argument and makes the reader feel he/she is being guided through his/her problems on a sort of “journey” to a profitable conclusion.
4. Tell Your Readers What Other think: Like I said earlier, essays are a chance for you to show off how widely and convinced you are on a particular topic, so make sure you quote other people’s opinions, the content original sources and on what you are writing about. For instance, if you are to write on an essay on the history of ‘education in Nigeria’, quote the originated year from your source in bracket, mention what the scholars/authors you have quoted or built on their work. Make sure the contrasting views are crystal clear and probably itemized.
5. Punctuation and Tone of Voice: Effective punctuation is vital in conveying your arguments persuasively; in the cases when a lecturer or a teacher wants to read your essay, he/she will criticize the parts of your essay that portray poor grammar. Make your reader to read and understand your sentences easily and at once. Another thing you should consider when writing an essay, make sure your tone of voice is interesting and engaging, a confident tone of voice will help show the reader realize that you know what you’re talking about and by reassuring them that they’re in safe hands.
YOU CAN ALSO READ: 7 BEST WAYS TO DEFEND FINAL YEAR PROJECT WITH FLYING COLORS
In conclusion, going through this article, I hope you have been equipped with the major techniques that are useful for composing a good essay; these techniques which will help you take your essay writing to new heights.