Virtually everybody in Nigeria is facing recession in one way or the other. 8 persons out of 10 persons I meet complain that things are too hard; I can’t afford to eat two square meals a day.
The economy is too bad, yes! that is true, but you can change the situation and make it work for you. Every human being is created with a brain to think with. Have you ever wondered how many cells your brain has? Science has shown that the average adult human brain has about 100 billion cells. What do you think they are meant for? They are meant for solving problems.
Recession sure has been a problem enough to give you sleepless nights, but you don’t need to kill yourself over it. Look around you, take your time, and don’t rush. Can you see people making money while you sit at home and wallow in pain and hunger?
Let me shock you; if you were to use part or half of your brain to think, you will find out that some of the problems you thought were impossible will be solved. In this time if recession every one of us has the power to change our situation. Here are some tips to help you in enhancing your economic potentials.
- Have a vision: According to Julia Burke, a vision is a picture or idea you have in your mind of yourself, your business, or anything that is going to happen. He goes further to say that a clear vision helps one to pursue dreams and achieve goals: an idea of the future, a strong wish. A vision that is clear will open your mind to the endless possibilities about the future. Have you ever sat down to meditate about your life, what you hope to become and what you want to be in the nearest future? If you have not, now will be the perfect time to start. Having a vision gives you inspiration and the ability to predict what your life will be like. Without inspiration you won’t be able to make it in life. Sit down and look around you, what are you passing through? What do you need to change in your life? This is the first step you will take before you know the direction you need to take.
- Recognize opportunities: Have you ever taken a walk around your neighborhood for the purpose of seeing what is not there, or thinking about what should be there? If you haven’t done it yet, start doing it because that is when you will recognize hidden opportunities that you have not recognised . You will start noticing some businesses that are not in your community and can fetch you a reasonable amount of money if you brought it there. There are opportunities everywhere; it’s just that we have not been recognizing them. You need to be open minded.
- Be Creative: Creativity is the act of turning new and imaginative ideas into reality. You can be imaginative but not creative. Being imaginative means that you have good ideas but you can’t act on them. Creativity is characterized by being able to see the world in new ways, to find things that are hidden and bring them to reality. Creativity requires passion and commitment. Being creative means that you should be original. Originality is key in business, it can be the way you package your products, the way you treat your clients, or the way you advertise your products. When you copy another person’s product, you are not original and it means that you are not creative. Think of what you can do, how to package it and make it stand out.
- Be Innovative. Innovation generally means changing processes or creating more effective processes, products or ideas. For businesses it may mean implementing new ideas, creating products that are dynamic or just changing your existing products and services. Innovation does not only mean inventing, it can mean changing the model of your business to adapt to the environment.
- Hard work and Diligence: Hard work, diligence, dedication, commitment and perseverance are factors that contribute to success in business. Hard work is the basis of everything worthwhile you will achieve in life. Sometimes we fill that we are working hard just because we find ourselves doing business. Hard work is what you do to move to the top of the ladder. You need to have the drive, motivation, something that pushes you to work hard. Let me remind you of this, you can work hard without seeing any evidence of that hard work. You need to sacrifice your time and energy for your business to succeed. You have to be alert and also put in extra and continuous effort to accomplish your task.
It is one thing to dream of enhancing your potentials for economic opportunities and it is another thing to actually get to enhance your potentials. It is one thing to start a business and it is another thing to make it stand out among others. To stay on top of the table, you need to apply the principles and you will enhance your potentials in the business world.