How can people become more creative in their everyday lives? originally appeared on Quora – the place to gain and share knowledge, empowering people to learn from others and better understand the world.
Good news! Everyone can become more creative. Even if you can only draw stick figures, there are ways to inject creativity into your life. Creativity doesn’t just mean painting or writing or creating sculptures. Creative thought drives technological innovation, helps create tasty meals, and can even solve problems that seem unsolvable!
So, how do you acquire this creativity? Should you quit your day job and go on a soul-seeking, globe-trotting mission?… maybe not.
Instead, let your inner child lead you. Kids are naturally creative. They sing, they dance, they draw on walls. Perhaps a few of those things aren’t socially acceptable for adults, but at the very least, you can steal a few child-like hobbies.
- Mix up your routine. Walk a different route to work. Eat cereal for dinner. Try anything to jar yourself out of that treadmill like routine we adults are so good at making.
- Indulge in art. Watch a movie you’ve been meaning to, or read a book, cover to cover, in one sitting. Let the story pull you in, and give up on reality for a little while. When you emerge, you might have a lot more creative thoughts.
- When solving a problem, try to come up with at least ten solutions, even if they’re silly.
- Crank the music! I find that music, of all kinds, can always inspire me.
- Go outside. Breath in the fresh air, and let your thoughts wander.
Hopefully one of these tips gets your creative juices flowing
This questionoriginally appeared on Quora – the place to gain and share knowledge, empowering people to learn from others and better understand the world. You can follow Quora on Twitter, Facebook, and Google+. More questions: